Mixed Fraction is also known as Mixed Number
A Mixed Fraction is a whole number and a proper fraction combined.
Each example is made up of a whole number and a proper fraction together. That is why it is called a mixed fraction or mixed number.
Table of Contents
3 Types of Fractions
There are 3 types of fraction:
|Proper Fraction||Top Number < Bottom Number|
|Improper Fraction||Top Number > Bottom Number|
|Mix Fraction||a whole number + a proper fraction|
Converting Mixed Fractions to Improper Fractions
These are some steps to convert a mixed fraction to an improper fraction:
- Multiply the whole number part by the bottom number of fraction part.
- Add that to the top number of fraction part.
- Then write the result as top number of the fraction.
|Mix Fraction||Step 1||Step 2||Improper Fraction|
|5 × 1 = 5||5 + 4 = 9|
|6 × 2 = 12||12 + 5 = 17|
|7 × 3 = 21||21 + 6 = 27|
Converting Improper Fractions to Mixed Fractions
These are some steps to convert an improper fraction to a mixed fraction:
- Divide the top number by the bottom number.
- Write down whole number answer
- Write down any remainder (R) above the bottom number of fraction.
|Improper Fraction||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Mix Fraction|
|27 ÷ 7 = 3 R 6||3|
|17 ÷ 6 = 2 R 5||2|
|9 ÷ 5 = 1 R 4||1|